Sr Mechanical Engineer, Fuel Handling Equipment
Location: Alameda, CA
Type: Full Time
ExpMin. Experience: Experienced
Kairos Power, LLC is a new nuclear energy technology and engineering company whose mission is to enable the world’s transition to clean energy, with the ultimate goal to dramatically improve people’s quality of life while protecting the environment. This goal will be accomplished through the commercialization of the fluoride-salt-cooled, high-temperature reactor (FHR) that can be deployed with robust safety, affordable costs, and flexible operation to accommodate the expansion of variable renewables.
Kairos Power, LLC is seeking a highly motivated Fuel Handling Equipment Design Engineer with expertise relevant to design, development, testing and manufacturing of automated systems for fuel handling and storage equipment. The successful candidate will serve as the responsible engineer for the FHR fuel handling and storage system.
- Lead the design and prototyping program for the Kairos Power FHR (KP-FHR) fuel handling and storage equipment including driving conceptual design and development of licensing deliverables (safety analysis reports, topical reports) including planning, preparation, and defense with the regulatory reviewer.
- Create high fidelity non-standard, custom 3D equipment models, including rotating equipment dynamic analysis and thermal/stress analysis, to support analysis, system assembly models, and manufacturing drawing creation that meet the KP-FHR and test system requirements.
- Generate 3D design layouts and 2D drawings for electro-mechanical equipment including the desired interface with the nuclear vessel head and other locations in the primary system.
- Perform stress analysis, fatigue calculations, bearing design and life analysis, seal design and analysis, reliability and health monitoring on designs of fuel handling equipment and other moving components. Analysis includes assessment of effects from potentially severe environmental conditions including high temperature and radiation.
- Create or direct the creation of manufacturing drawings for KP-FHR custom fuel handling equipment, and other moving components and coordinate the fabrication with internal manufacturing operation and suppliers.
- Contribute to make/buy analysis, supplier selections and the development of manufacturing plans.
- Lead fuel handling equipment integration with the rest of the KP-FHR system to meet overall project objectives and requirements.
- Participate in product qualification and supplier qualification as needed.
- Generate detailed verification and acceptance test plans for all standard and custom components; represent Kairos Power to witness and qualify shop performance tests.
- Provide on-site support during startup and commissioning with operation and troubleshooting of custom components.
- Lead Design and Process FMEAs for the fuel handling equipment system, and interface with the probability risk assessment group for developing the reliability models for these components.
- Actively participate in relevant reviews including: P&ID reviews, system FMEA, HAZOPS, model reviews (2D/3D), and any independent reviews as necessary.
- Design to meet cost and schedule targets.
- Ensure process integrity; promote safe operability and maintainability via formal reviews.
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent with industry fuel handling equipment experience; MS preferred.
- Experience designing for Nuclear, Energy, Chemical, Petrochemical, Defense, or Aerospace applications.
- SolidWorks and ANSYS experience desired, CAD/CAE and rotating equipment dynamic analysis competency required.
- Ability to work with a robust requirements management system.
- Understanding of reactor core neutronics desired.
- High temperature, corrosive environment operation design experience desired.
- Experience with methods for online health monitoring of reactor components desired.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others including, but not limited to Project Managers, Engineers and Designers in a multi-discipline project team environment to resolve design or drawing issues as appropriate and to accomplish objectives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and attention to detail.
About our Benefits
We know that we have some of the most talented and dedicated employees, and we believe in rewarding them accordingly. If you work here, expect to have access to the benefits below:
- Competitive compensation packages
- Medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and their dependents
- Paid Vacation
- 401(k) and pre-tax health insurance, dependent care, and commuter benefits (FSA)
Kairos Power is committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects the communities that we do business in. Kairos Power, LLC. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We actively welcome people of different experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Kairos Power, LLC. participates in E-Verify.
Candidates only, no recruiters or agencies please.