Director, Quality Innovation
Location: Alameda, CA
Type: Full Time
ExpMin. Experience: Senior Manager/Supervisor
Kairos Power LLC is a new nuclear energy technology and engineering company whose mission is to enable the world’s transition to clean energy, with the ultimate goal to dramatically improve people’s quality of life while protecting the environment. This goal will be accomplished through the commercialization of the fluoride-salt-cooled, high-temperature reactor (FHR) that can be deployed with robust safety, affordable costs, and flexible operation to accommodate the expansion of variable renewables.
Reporting to the Vice President of Regulatory Affairs and Quality, the Director, Quality Innovation leads the organization responsible for quality management and innovation for the Kairos Power fluoride salt-cooled, high-temperature reactor (KP-FHR). Leads development and maintenance of Kairos quality assurance (QA) program and implementing procedures. Establishes QA program requirements for technology development, testing, and design, along with site characterization and licensing activities, component manufacturing, and fuel cycle facility licensing. Leads efforts to ensure quality management tools and processes maximize innovation and efficiency while complying with regulatory requirements. Provides oversight, surveillance, and internal audit activities. Supports development and execution of the KP-FHR licensing strategy as well as pre-application interactions with the USNRC.
- Direct efforts to identify innovative approaches to meeting quality-related requirements
- Lead planning, development, and implementation of Kairos QA program and Quality Management System
- Provide support for quality-related licensing topics
- Lead development and implementation of QA program modules for reactor development, test program design and execution, site licensing, and fuel cycle facility development
- Lead integration of non-NRC QA program requirements (e.g., ISO) seamlessly into Kairos Quality Management System without undue regulatory exposure
- Lead development of Kairos QA program infrastructure, including records management, document control, QA program maintenance, training, procedure development, corrective action, and internal audit/surveillance
- Coordinate/integrate QA program requirements into engineering processes, including requirements development/flowdown
- Support scoping, planning, and execution of Kairos test program to meet development goals and regulatory requirements
- Support project management and engineering teams in generating design and development plans that meet Kairos Power’s FHR deployment objectives
- Support decomposition of top-level regulatory requirements into SSC requirements and ensure the KP-FHR is designed in accordance with these requirements
- Manage subordinate QI personnel who lead application development
- Coordinate/facilitate cross-functional efforts across multiple teams
- Provide QI mentorship to Kairos staff
- Interview, hire, and train employees; plan, assign, and direct work; appraise performance; reward and discipline employees; address complaints, and resolve problems
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Significant experience in nuclear licensing and system design, or analogous technology(ies) with significant regulatory and quality requirements (e.g., FDA, FAA/aerospace) with thorough understanding of evaluation, design, and regulatory acceptance of new technology
- Background in quality management systems and/or innovative process/infrastructure in complex technology
- Demonstrated experience in technical quality administration from early-stage to proven including system architecture, requirements, design implementation, integration, and verification/validation
- Entrepreneurial, flexible, open to new ideas, collaborative in nature with full buy-in to the Kairos Power mission
- Demonstrated leadership skills including advisory, relationship, and stakeholder management skills fit to handle a small / start-up environment; demonstrated ability to earn the trust of team members and management
- A natural bias for action, comfortable delivering on commitments and holding him/herself and team accountable; a respectful individual that embraces challenges with an unwavering focus on driving results and meeting design milestones
- Proven team player with excellent verbal, written communication/presentation, and interpersonal skills; must be able to interact and communicate effectively at all levels of the organization
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical, Chemical, Civil, or Nuclear Engineering, or related field required
- Master of Science degree in Mechanical, Chemical, Civil, or Nuclear Engineering or related field desired
- Must have proven track record of nuclear or similar quality management and/or licensing leadership and delivery with at least 10 years implementation experience and 5 years supervisory/management experience.
About our Benefits
We know that we have some of the most talented and dedicated employees, and we believe in rewarding them accordingly. If you work here, expect to have access to the benefits below:
- Competitive compensation packages
- Medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and their dependents
- Paid Vacation
- 401(k) and pre-tax health insurance, dependent care, and commuter benefits (FSA)
Kairos Power is committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects the communities that we do business in. Kairos Power, LLC. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We actively welcome people of different experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Kairos Power, LLC. participates in E-Verify.
Candidates only, no recruiters or agencies please.