Engineering Technician (Electrical)
Location: Alameda, CA
Type: Full Time
ExpMin. Experience: Mid Level
Kairos Power, LLC is a new nuclear energy technology and engineering company whose mission is to enable the world’s transition to clean energy, with the ultimate goal to dramatically improve people’s quality of life while protecting the environment. This goal will be accomplished through the commercialization of the fluoride-salt-cooled, high-temperature reactor (FHR) that can be deployed with robust safety, affordable costs, and flexible operation to accommodate the expansion of variable renewables.
Kairos Power LLC is seeking a highly motivated Electrical Technician with expertise relevant to research & development (R&D) assembly, operation and maintenance of engineering infrastructure and test equipment. In this role, you will contribute to development and deployment of the company’s engineering testing capabilities including power supplies, heater controllers, instrumentation and control and instrumentation chassis for test equipment including heated water and oil flow loops and high-temperature molten salt loops. Additional responsibilities may include assembly and maintenance of hardware and mechanical equipment. The ideal candidate takes pride in his/her hands-on work, organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Specify, procure, assemble, debug, and maintain custom-built and commercial electromechanical components and systems (e.g., power supplies, VFDs, solenoid valves, control devices, transformers, relays, and disconnects). This includes significant hands-on activity as well as inspection and quality assurance of vendor supplied components.
- Install and terminate wiring for data acquisition instrumentation on lab equipment such as flow meters, thermocouples, level sensors, pressure transducers, load cells, torque transducers, accelerometers and position sensors.
- Assist in design, fabrication, installation, troubleshooting and repair of engineering infrastructure, mechanical equipment and test equipment.
- Work closely with engineers to support testing activities, develop procedures, data collection, and implement design iterations.
- Perform all job functions safely and efficiently while working with hazardous equipment (e.g. high temperatures, pressurized hydraulic and pneumatic systems, rotating machining, and high voltage).
- Support permitting, safety planning and communication for laboratory test equipment.
- Maintain lab infrastructure, cleanliness and organization.
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have 5+ years of relevant experience working in an R&D environment or engineering laboratory.
- Must have experience in installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of custom electronic control devices and lab equipment.
- Must be competent in termination of basic electronic cabling systems and control chassis.
- Must have experience maintaining an electrically safe workplace utilizing NFPA 70E as a safety standard.
- Must have experience building various circuits (voltage dividers, relays, microcontrollers, SCRs) and wiring sensors and instrumentation (4-20mA, analog voltage, modbus).
- Required experience in producing from scratch and reading electrical schematics/drawings.
- Must be able to use multimeters, oscilloscopes and other basic measuring tools.
- Desired experience programming PLCs and setting up data acquisition using LabVIEW.
- Desired experience in reading and interpreting engineering drawings.
- Desired experience in the use of hand and shop tools such as drill presses, hydraulic presses, cut-off saws, tube benders and belt sanders.
- This position requires attention to detail, high quality work, and accurate logging of data.
About our Benefits
We know that we have some of the most talented and dedicated employees, and we believe in rewarding them accordingly. If you work here, expect to have access to the benefits below:
- Competitive compensation packages
- Medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and their dependents
- Paid Vacation
- 401(k) and pre-tax health insurance, dependent care, and commuter benefits (FSA)
Kairos Power is committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects the communities that we do business in. Kairos Power, LLC. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We actively welcome people of different experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Kairos Power, LLC. participates in E-Verify.
Candidates only, no recruiters or agencies please.