Director of Engineering
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Type: Full Time
ExpMin. Experience: Executive
Kairos Power, LLC is a new nuclear energy technology and engineering company whose mission is to enable the world’s transition to clean energy, with the ultimate goal of dramatically improving people’s quality of life while protecting the environment. This goal will be accomplished through the commercialization of the fluoride-salt-cooled, high-temperature reactor (FHR) that can be deployed with robust safety, affordable costs, and flexible operation to accommodate the expansion of variable renewables.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the Director, Engineering leads testing activities in support of design and technology development for the Kairos Power fluoride salt-cooled, high-temperature reactor (KP-FHR). The Director, Engineering provides leadership on developing and executing the KP-FHR testing strategy in concert with the engineering design, modeling and simulation, and licensing groups; leads development and maintaining of testing schedule to meet KP-FHR technology development program schedule; provides organizational support around testing infrastructure deployment. An ideal candidate will have previous experience with successful development and deployment of large scale testing programs, with emphasis on scale-up from laboratory scale activities to commercial scale activities.
- Lead Kairos Power testing activities, including development and execution of critical test roadmaps in preparation for the deployment of a Component Test Facility for technology demonstration
- Manage schedule and budget for successful deployment of a Component Test Facility and subsequent testing at that facility
- Oversee large testing campaigns that may occur with key technical partner entities as demanded by the technology development roadmap
- Lead interface with Engineering Design leadership to ensure that required testing is available as necessary to support KP-FHR design activities and address design gaps
- Lead interface with Modeling and Simulation leadership to ensure that required testing is available as necessary to support KP-FHR code validation
- Lead interface with Licensing leadership to identify, support and execute testing needs required for KP-FHR licensing
- Support Project Management and Systems Engineering in generating design and development plans (schedules, milestones, cost models, decision criteria, etc.) that meet KP-FHR deployment objectives
- Support graded implementation of nuclear quality assurance in testing programs as demanded by the technology development roadmap
- Provide for highly-trained and fully informed personnel to execute the testing activities
- Coordinate and supervise activities of testing personnel within the organization
- In conjunction with the respective experimental program managers, provide overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these groups and individuals
- Interview, hire, and train employees; plan, assign, and direct work; appraise performance; reward and discipline employees; address complaints, and resolve problems
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A well-rounded leader with significant experience in testing and facility deployment within a cross-functional organization
- Experience in chemical processes, heat transfer processes, and utility engineering design
- Significant experience in design, build contracting or construction management, and commissioning of pilot plant/demonstration facilities
- Experience with test design, development and execution
- Proven and demonstrated experience in the full lifecycle of industrial facilities from concept to production, including system architecture, requirements, design implementation, integration, and verification/validation
- Strong understanding of good development and systems engineering processes, including Design for Excellence (DFX), Six Sigma concepts, value engineering, and product life cycle management
- Entrepreneurial, flexible, open to new ideas, collaborative in nature with full buy-in to the Kairos Power mission
- Proven leader with superior advisory, relationship, and stakeholder management skills fit to handle a start-up environment; demonstrated ability to earn the trust of team members and management
- A natural bias for action, comfortable delivering on commitments and holding him/herself and team accountable; a respectful individual that embraces challenges with an unwavering focus on driving results and meeting design milestones
- Proven team player with excellent verbal, written communication/presentation, and interpersonal skills; must be able to interact and communicate effectively at all levels of the organization
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in Mechanical, Chemical, Civil or Nuclear Engineering, or related field required
- Master’s of Science degree in Mechanical, Chemical, Civil or Nuclear Engineering or related field desired
- Must have proven track record of technical leadership and delivery with at least 15 years implementation experience and 5 years supervisory/management experience.
- Experience with large, complex testing programs and facilities
- Experience with highly regulated industries and with the deployment of large, complex, industrial products via engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) firms highly desired
Kairos Power, LLC. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Kairos Power, LLC. participates in E-Verify.
Candidates only, no recruiters or agencies