Senior Mechanical Engineer - Thermal and Process Design
Location: Alameda, CA
Type: Full Time
ExpMin. Experience: Experienced
Kairos Power, LLC is seeking a highly motivated Mechanical Engineer (or equivalent) with expertise in thermal and fluids engineering to contribute to the thermal system design of several systems required for a generation IV Nuclear Power Plant and related scaled prototype and test plants. The position requires well-rounded technical expertise in heavy industrial engineering projects within one or more industries similar to power generation, petrochemical, chemical etc. The person will work with an integrated design team to perform the following duties:
- Conduct process design and integration, evaluation, selection, and thermal design for main and auxiliary systems.
- Develop and maintain the Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs), Heat and Mass balance diagrams (HMDs), and process control concepts, and contribute in the development of the process and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs).
- Support the development of plant operational states and modes and the Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA).
- Conduct sizing and rating analysis and develop equipment specifications for plant Structures, Systems, and Components (SSCs), including heat exchangers, control valves, pressure relief valves, pumps, piping, tanks, compressors, blowers, heat tracing, insulation, etc.
- Provide and maintain subject matter expertise for thermal design and heat transfer equipment; interface with vendors and customers (as required).
- Support general operations and the development of internal procedures and standards.
- Review and provide guidance on non-standard or advanced heat transfer technologies offered by vendors or other parties.
- Identify knowledge/technology gaps for design and coordinate with the Test Program to close the knowledge gaps.
- Support design reviews and design verification of heat transfer and interfacing systems.
- Provide field support through erection, commissioning and troubleshooting.
- Support business operations as required to develop internal procedures and map design processes.
- Other job functions as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Education: BS or higher degree in Mechanical / Chemical Engineering or equivalent
- Years of experience: 5 – 10 years working in engineering/product development environment for nuclear power, chemical processing, power generation, or other large industrial products.
- Broad technical understanding of other design disciplines, including I&C, Electrical, Mechanical Design, and Civil/Structural Engineering on complex projects.
- Experience with developing Heat and Mass Balance Diagrams (HBD), Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID), Process Flow Diagrams (PFD).
- Experience with developing equipment and associated product specifications and performing selection of heat exchangers, pumps, blowers, chillers, control valves, relief valves, tanks, heat tracing, insulation, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in designing to ASME BPVC code requirements; nuclear development experience and knowledge of NQA-1 and plant design codes and standards, including ASME BPVC Section III and Section VIII is highly desired
- Experience with designing systems for hazardous chemicals, molten salts, liquid metals, high-temperature petrochemical processes, etc. is desired.
- Experience in supporting a new product development cycle from concept to commissioning is highly preferred.
- Experience with the development of high-fidelity, full-scale plant simulators is highly preferred.
- Experience in designing and optimizing power conversion systems for Rankine cycle is preferred.
- Experience with analysis, modeling and simulation methods for heat transfer and thermohydraulics; experience with transient thermohydraulic, system modeling is desired.
- Proven team player with excellent verbal, written communication/presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and attention to detail with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- May require extended hours of standing and/or walking as well as ability to lift/carry up to 25 lb. while providing field support during plant or test facility erection and commissioning.
Mechanical or Chemical Engineering. Design
About our Benefits
We know that we have some of the most talented and dedicated employees, and we believe in rewarding them accordingly. If you work here, expect to have access to the benefits below:
- Competitive compensation packages
- Medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and their dependents
- Paid Vacation
- 401(k) and pre-tax health insurance, dependent care, and commuter benefits (FSA)
Kairos Power is committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects the communities that we do business in. Kairos Power, LLC. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We actively welcome people of different experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Kairos Power, LLC. participates in E-Verify.
Candidates only, no recruiters or agencies please.